[time-nuts] Re: Ship's clocks @ The Royal Society

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Sat Jul 1 21:48:22 UTC 2023

Hi Poul:

Do you have any information about the tripod platform John Emeaton designed for the clock?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Smeaton
It's my understanding that the clock would need to be regulated as to it's rate because of local gravity and set to the
correct time prior to making Venus/Sun transit measurements.  All that done by astronomy I'm guessing this would be made
more fool proof if sidereal time was used.

PS Part of the design of the Western Union clocks is a parking space for the pendulum to be used when shipping.  It's
too bad that people today don't know about it and in some cases destroy clocks.
https://prc68.com/I/SWCC2.shtml#mickiecat1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_of_Venus#History_of_observation

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
https://www.PRC68.com
axioms:
1. The extent to which you can fix or improve something will be limited by how well you understand how it works.
2. Everybody, with no exceptions, holds false beliefs.