[time-nuts] Re: Composite sky GPS - with an added digression

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Sat Jul 1 23:03:33 UTC 2023

Jim Lux said:
> Non ideal antennas make the grating lobes wiggle or be wavy along their long
> axis. Of course what YOU care about are the nulls (and to a lesser  extent
> the phase smoothness as you traverse the pattern).  I've looked a lot of
> these kind of models and your saving grace is that the nulls are deep only
> when the signals from the antennas are equal strength, which doesn't really
> happen much.

In the case of interest, the signal strength will be strongly unbalanced.

It would be interesting to plot the signal strength as a satellite goes from
one receiver to the other.  You could make several plots with the antennas
pointed up at different angles so the field of view would overlap more or less.

What do I need to combine a pair of antennas?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.