[time-nuts] Re: What GNSS module to buy for a good time reference?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jul 3 12:50:26 UTC 2023

Hi

The way one uses a NetRS in this application is to feed it a local
10 MHz reference. With the proper settings, the data it records is
referenced directly to that source. You can get < 100 ps resolution
and < 1x10^-14 one day frequency this way.

Other than a few devices in the $20K price range, pretty much all
GNSS gizmos have limited (+/- nanoseconds) resolution on their
PPS outputs. The same “feed it a 10 MHz source” approach is
how this is done on a lot of devices.

Bob