[time-nuts] Re: Rooftop GNSS antenna mounting recommendations

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jul 4 18:14:40 UTC 2023

Hi

“Best” pretty much always means tied to something solid. Anything that is sitting
on a deck / porch / patio is at risk of getting displaced somehow.

An alternative to the concrete block is a patio umbrella stand. They come in a variety
of sizes / shapes and weights. The advantage to using them is they already have
a nice tube up the middle to put a mast into. They also have a reasonably low profile
(other than the mast). In some cases that might make them less likely to “wander”.

Any time you put anything down on a roof, it’s best to do some research on how well
the covering that’s there will handle it. There may be reasons to put some sort of pad
between the antenna mount gizmo and what’s there.

Bob