[time-nuts] Re: Rooftop GNSS antenna mounting recommendations

Matt Huszagh huszaghmatt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 17:07:41 UTC 2023

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Here are answers to some of the questions raised:

I'll probably mount two antennas as far separated as I can make them
(and obviously on separate mounts). One antenna is a Trimble choke ring
(L1/L2) and the other antenna is a Novatel pinwheel (L1, L2, L3, L5, B1,
B2, E1 and E5a/b).

The roof material is asphalt shingle.

My roof is one of the tallest in the area and mostly the surrounding
trees are about the same height or lower and far enough from my house.

I'm in Oakland, CA, about 38deg latitude. We get storms here, but
certainly nothing tropical. Snow is pretty rare and generally not much
when it happens.

The elevation is just a bit above sea level. The house is reasonably
tall, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm intrigued by the patio umbrella stand idea. That seems like it would
be a bit better/easier than the cinder block. Assuming the antennas are
max a few feet off the roof, what's the ballpark minimum weight I would
need?

Matt