[time-nuts] Re: St Veran gravity red-shift misson

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Jul 24 17:47:47 UTC 2023

Magnus,

I'm glad you got to experience the challenge of powering cesium clocks
on a road trip! Fun, yes? Here's what I used:

AC system -- I tapped off the car's battery with dual 100 A fuses and
thick wire to feed in parallel two 80 Ah batteries below the passenger
seat. That gave redundant, low impedance, 12 VDC for two sinewave
inverters, one per battery, to supply 120 VAC to two power strips, the
A-bus(AC) and B-bus(AC). All AC feeds used standard IEC cords, no custom
wiring was necessary.

DC system -- I removed both rear seats and bolted into place a frame for
eight 120 Ah VRLA batteries arranged in series and diode-or parallel to
create two redundant independent sources of 24 VDC, the A-bus(DC) and
B-bus(DC). All DC feeds were done with Anderson PowerPole [1] connectors
and accessories.

5071A system -- Each clock had internal 24V battery packs re-made from
fresh EnerSys Cyclon 2.5 Ah cells. Each clock was powered by 120 VAC
from an AC bus, and also powered by 24 VDC from a DC bus. Note that the
internal backup battery inside a 5071A is slowly charged only when AC is
present.

Attached are two screen shots, from page 56 and 57 from [2], that show
some of the setup.

I carried long AC extension cords so that when "shore power" was
available at any point during the experiment I could power any AC bus
from that source and/or recharge the main 8x VRLA batteries using marine
battery chargers that I brought along.

As you found out, the logistics of failure-proof clock power is quite a
bit more complicated than any of the 10 MHz and 1PPS timing stuff!

I'm impressed with your use of solar panels. I wish I could do that, but
solar doesn't often work well in the Pacific Northwest, and my power
requirements are higher due to multiple clocks and related electronics.
But my car is a Toyota Highlander Hybrid which acts as an efficient
generator if non-battery power is required. It's not quite as "green" as
solar, but it works in all weather.

/tvb

[1] http://leapsecond.com/pages/powerpole/diode-or.htm

[2]