[time-nuts] Re: Trinity Timing - How far we've come

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Jul 27 00:06:14 UTC 2023

For those of you who have just watched Oppenheimer, here is a classic
posting from 2008 that deserves fresh exposure [1]:

The 35 page now-unclassified PDF that John points to is still accessible
at that URL. It's a must-read for time nuts, especially if you're old
enough to have worked with vacuum tubes, or know about fast thyratron
switches [2] like the 4C35, or are just curious how nanoseconds timing
was done 75 years ago.

In a similar era, the hp 212A used a pair of hydrogen thyratrons [3],
see schematics [4]. The RadLab pulse book [5] has more examples.

The paper was written by British physicist Ernest Titterton [3] [4] in
1946 about the 1945 Trinity test. It looks like he was the "time nut"
for the experiment. If that doesn't get your attention here are some
keywords: "pulse rising 300 volts in less than 0.1 microsecond", "1000
yds of RG9U coaxial cable", "sawtooth generators and discriminators",
"hp 200C", "1 kc tuning fork frequency standard", Lissajou, "4C35
thyratron", "counter chronograph", interpolation, "detonator line
driver", "output amph. 80-C to Raytheon Unit on top of Tower".

Aside from a thousand other details of the Manhattan project, precise
timing was a critical [sic] requirement.

/tvb

[1]
https://febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts_lists.febo.com/2008-March/012789.html

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyratron