[time-nuts] CTI OSC5A2B02 OXCO testing

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 2 23:14:09 UTC 2023

Hi,

I've tried to avoid time-nutting for a long time, but I have lost the battle.

I bought 10 bare CTI modules on ebay for $2.93 each which I wish to test over a long period of time.  I can set up 2-4 GHz SMA relay switching, GPSDO reference etc.  Question is, what to read the frequency with.  My 5386A with a GPSDO isn't precise enough.

I don't know anything about it yet, but nanoPFA  FW on a nanoVNA  H4 looks attractive.  Are there other instruments/methods to consider?  I have a crazy mid 90's lab, so a bit more is not an issue other than where to put it.

All I'm looking for is a pebble tossed in the right direction.  Current plan is an LM399 reference with emitter followers driving Vref on the OXCOs, very stiff PSU and a fairly stable temperature.

Thanks,
Reg