[time-nuts] Re: CTI OSC5A2B02 OXCO testing

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 3 06:57:10 UTC 2023

 A bit of background. I've got an absurd amount of HPAK kit. I bought a pair of used OXCOs on new PCBs via ebay or Amazon, I forget which. I set up a pair of splitters and fed the GPSDO to the 5386A counter and a DSO, did the same with one OXCO output and fed the input to the 5386A and the DSO along with a second OXCO just feeding the DSO.

I was able to set both units to the 0.1 ppb limit of the 5386A and made them up in SMA-F and BNC-F versions in small plastic cases.

The OXCOs have a 0.02 ppb/s stability spec which is presumably what you could expect from it in a GPSDO setting. The 10 year aging rate is stated as 0.4 ppb/yr.

I bought 10 bare OXCOs for $29.30 delivered.

General plan:

Wire up all 10 to use a common PSU

Feed an LM399 reference voltage to voltage followers that drive a separate divider for each OXCO

Place a thermistor and resistor on each OXCO for use as a heating element and sensor to warm each unit above the threshold of the internal heater so the latter does not turn on and there are no temperature gradients across the device.

Set up a 10 port SMA relay tree to allow switching a phase comparator fed by a GPSDO and the switch output. *** The nature of this phase comparator is what I want to determine **

Place in a thermally controlled chamber and log the references for an extended period.

At the moment my best option appears to be a nanoVNA H4 with the tinyPFA FW loaded. However, an HP equivalent would be very desirable. I'm an analog, RF oriented guy with a bit of a metrology bent and have no idea what HP made to measure such things. I've got 4 racks of HP and Tek gear. I would hardly notice more. That is my preferred solution. I have one of Leo Bodnar's dual channel GPSDOs.

Some years ago I got mixed up in basis pursuit to solve the heat equation. The answer is an infinite sum of exponentials. When I realized I was solving problems with 50,000 unknowns and fewer than 100 equations I became really fascinated as to how this could be possible. Which led to Donoho and Candes work in 2004-2008 and 3 years of reading math papers.

The aging behavior of crystals is well documented. Numerical experiment has shown that given measured curves I can predict aging to within a few percent for as long as I have history.

The aim of project is to characterize these OXCOs for 6-12 months. Then incorporate N of them in a single unit with an MCU that applies a voltage change to adjust for the ~0.001 ppb/day aging. And which periodically resynchronizes all N OXCOs along with applying any ambient temperature corrections required. Success is 0.1 ppb/yr for a 4 OXCO system. Possibly not achievable, but a worthy goal.

Why? Well, because I can and I've never seen any mention of doing it. Will I do exactly what I described? I hope not. I joined the list to get advice on how to do better.

Reg