[time-nuts] Re: Creating a D.I.Y Rubidium Atomic Clock

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Wed Jun 7 12:11:32 UTC 2023

Hi,

I agree with Rick and was about to make more or less the same comment.

The glas package is the hardest thing to do, and there is also a certain
magic to mix the buffer gas just the right way to frequency compensate
the wall shift. Already there comes the aspect of knowing what wallshift
you will get, so you need reasonable reproduceability in both the glass
and pressure and mix in gases. To put that in other words, I am not THAT
crazy, yet.

Next level is the cavity you put the glas-ware into. The Q of that
resonator is not irrelevant, so you want to handle that.

There is a certain magic to the temperatures of the rubidium lamp and
that of the rubidium filter. This has consequences on how the physical
package is built. Some of this can be avoided today by using diodeds,
and that may even open up for avoiding the tuned resonator, but brings
in it's own set of issues.

Achievable engineering challenges, but maybe hard to do as a hobbyist.
The remaining temperature controls, FLL-lock of oscillator, synthesis
have become more and more achieveable over the years. That has become
hobbyist achieveable for sure.

However, just *attempting* to study up on a subject like this forces you
to learn alot, so even if you do not do a single soldering, you can have
improved your knowledge.

I would consider recycle an existing physical package that works and
make modern electronics for it. That should be plenty of challenges and
quite achieveable.

Cheers,
Magnus