[time-nuts] Re: 5071B announced, who'd a thunk it?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Jun 9 07:19:14 UTC 2023

Moin moin!

Well, it's not quite announced yet. Microsemi can still not officially
confirm or deny the existense of the B model. But they talk a lot
about the 5071 "black edition" :-)

On Thu, 08 Jun 2023 13:53:16 -0700
Richard Karlquist via time-nuts <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:

> I LOVE the title!  "Keeping time from becoming obsolete"
>
> https://www.ion.org/publications/abstract.cfm?articleID=18692

I talked a little bit with Dave Chandler at IFCS/EFTF about this.

The changes were mostly for RoHS and EoL reasons. I.e. replace
all the components that didn't meet RoHS criteria and replace
all components that they couldn't get anymore. They tried to
keep the circuits as close to the original design as possible.

The biggest problem they faced was that all of the original
designers and engineers have been long retired and quite a
few had passed away. Quite a bit of the old documentation did
not make sense or did not match what was actually being produced.
Tracking down the old designers to ask them questions was a major
part of the redesign process.

The first test devices seem to work fine and have the same
performance as the A model. Though the long term tests are
still missing. We should hear more about this in the
coming months.

			Attila Kinali

--
The driving force behind research is the question: "Why?"
There are things we don't understand and things we always