[time-nuts] GPS receiver with reference clock input

Keelan Lightfoot keelanlightfoot at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 23:37:13 UTC 2023

In my pile of Trimble GPS receivers, I have a small handful of 4000SSi CORS
receivers with a BNC clock reference input, and in the receiver firmware I
can switch the receiver over to the external 10 MHz clock. It's all
documented in the manual, but what I don't understand is... why?

I'm trying to reconcile my mental model of the GPS receiver, and in my
model, any critical timing in the receiver is all relative to the received
GPS signals, what would I gain from feeding the 10 MHz from a GPSDO other
than the more stable OCXO in the GPSDO? I imagine it might improve jitter
on the 1PPS signal...

Thanks,

Keelan