[time-nuts] Re: GPS receiver with reference clock input

Keelan Lightfoot keelanlightfoot at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 05:28:28 UTC 2023

Bob,

I did that experiment a while back. Running a static survey in my back yard
with the receiver exposed to the sun over the course of the day, the
internal clock offset was quite a mess, with 4 milliseconds of drift over 9
hours:

http://beefchicken.com/dump/clockoffsetbad.png

Once I acquired the receiver with the reference input, I used a fairly
recently calibrated HP 5316A with the OCXO option as a clock source, and
kept the receiver indoors in my underground lair where the temperature is
fairly constant. The results were much better, with -3 ns of drift over a
16 hour survey.

http://beefchicken.com/dump/clockoffsetgood.png

The results are interesting, but in terms of the static survey solution,
(and to be painfully reductive), the terrible clock seems to have had
little impact on the final survey, with both surveys having identical error
ellipses. And the internally clocked survey had the odds stacked against
it; it was a shorter survey, and there were a number of trees blocking a
clear view of the sky.

What are the other applications? These receivers were specifically marketed
as CORS receivers, I imagine having a reference station running for years
with a clock with milliseconds of drift per day might have some negative
consequences...

- Keelan