[time-nuts] Re: 5071B - and next a 5081A?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Wed Jun 14 08:49:59 UTC 2023

Rick,

So, optical pumping has several benefits.

First of all, rather than selection magnet A, you pump all atoms into
the same state. This means that rather than bending half of them away
from the rest of the beam, they progress. This doubles the beam flow,
improving the S/N. You can then choose to change the rate of cesium to
make it last longer or get the improved quality. The actual numbers [1]
is that 22% is in clock transition rather than 7% of total atoms, so
that's an 3 times larger amount.

Similarly you replace the B magnet, but that just simplifies the device.

Also, the ionization and masspectrometer is replaced. Any issues in
ionization gets compensated, and you rather use flourescence detection.

The downside is that one has to operate the lasers such that they
survive long-term. So you traded problems. Then again, these lasers sit
outside of the physical package, so that is easier to manage.

None of these things is a significant step forward, but a step forward.
You get somewhat better performance.

That's at least how I understand it. Oscilloquartz have built a
commercial optical cesium, and it has been shipped.

[1] "Optically pumped small cesium beam standards: a status report".
https://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/732.pdf

Cheers,
Magnus