[time-nuts] Trimble UCCM TSIP Mode, other stuff

Keelan Lightfoot keelanlightfoot at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 21:50:37 UTC 2023

This is just a FYI for those using the Trimble version of the UCCM module.
I was messing around with the UCCM SCPI CLI and discovered a few hidden
commands: diag:monitor, diag:version? and diag:tsip.

diag:monitor makes the receiver seem unresponsive, but I expect it puts it
into ROM monitor mode to perform a firmware upgrade, which on most Trimble
products means that it's expecting STX/ETX wrapped commands. I haven't
experimented with it much.

diag:version? prints a different version number than what is shown
when SYSTem:STATus? is run, maybe it's the version of the GPS core code
that will be shared among other Trimble DSP receivers, rather than the
version built specifically for the UCCM.

diag:tsip dumps the receiver into TSIP mode, it can be controlled from
within Trimble's Visual Timing Studio, or Lady Heather.

If anyone has a UCCM that still boots to the CLI but is no longer
functioning as a GPSDO, I'd love to buy it. Experimenting with the monitor
commands could be potentially fatal, and I don't really want to sacrifice a
functioning module, but I'd really like to get a dump of the firmware to
explore.

- Keelan