[time-nuts] Re: Two GPSDO 10 MHz phase drift

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Mar 4 02:40:22 UTC 2023

Hi

If you see multiple cycle slips and they are in the same direction, then yes, at least one unit
is unlocked.

~40 minutes is about 2,400 seconds. One cycle at 10 MHz should be 100 ns. More or less
you are slipping 1/24 ns per second. It’s not a lot.

A way to double check things would be to take a look at the PPS outputs. Even a pretty
basic setup should be able to resolve < 100 ns. An old HP 5336 era counter off eBay might
be a sub $100 sort of option. Any of a number of MCU based boards could do the job
with a bit of code. A digital scope would be anoter option.

Bob