[time-nuts] Frequency counter recommendation wanted

John Miller john at millerjs.org
Mon Mar 13 18:26:16 UTC 2023

Hey All,
Long ago I reached the point where I really need to get my hands on a real frequency counter, but I was able to work around with with cobbled-together solutions. Now I have started a new project and I need something trustworthy that I can rely on for good measurements. I'm looking for something "general purpose" that can also do time interval measurements as well as logging, be it to GPIB, serial, USB, whatever. The ability to operate off of an external timebase would be nice, too, since I do have a known-good rubidium oscillator.

The HP 5334B and 5335A are good options, but I have some anxiety about buying older equipment from ebay that may be in rough shape or questionable provenance. That said, I suspect that there are other reputable options out there, and I want to keep my mind open. I'm not biased towards old or new or any particular brand, but I would like to keep the cost under a couple hundred dollars.

Anyways, I figured if anyone could get me some recommendations, it would be you guys! (And of course if anyone here has one they want to sell, let me know!)

Thanks in advance,
John M.
KC1QLN