[time-nuts] Re: Frequency counter recommendation wanted

John Miller john at millerjs.org
Mon Mar 13 23:31:00 UTC 2023

Hi Bob,
Lots of interesting info here, for sure. To start, I'll clarify and answer the first four questions:

- How good is good? I don't really know - a lot of this depends on how much I have to spend. I got my Ramsey CT-125 for $30, and it's great, but can't perform any analysis. How about "trustworthy measurements in the range of 1-5ns".

- Budget? I'd like to stay under $250, unless an incredible option comes along for not much more. I'm basing that on two things: 1) what I have seen 5334s and 5335s sell for, and 2) how much I can usually reasonably allocate to hobbies.

- How soon do I want it? I've been getting progressively deeper into "TimeNuttery" over the past 3-4 years, so I'm fine waiting 6-12mo for the right piece of gear to come along - I just want to know what to look for.

- How much effort? I'm willing to put in a lot of effort as long as there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I have plenty of experience replacing mundane components in older gear (RTC batteries, tag tantalum caps, carbon resistors, etc.) so minor work doesn't scare me off. However, the $150 5386A that "just" needs a prescaler? Yeah, I know how that goes - it sits in a closet for two years and I end up buying another functioning 5386A for $350.

I am very interested in home brew projects, especially if it's something I can build myself. I am aware of the TAPR TICC, and similar time interval counter projects, but I'm also interested in a "general purpose" counter that can be used to, say, characterize an oscillator in another piece of equipment.

If I could find a 5334 for $50, I'd probably jump on it right away. Looking at recently sold on ebay currently places working 5334Bs closer to the $150 mark, and 5335As around the $250 mark. Prices on old gear have started to climb again.

John