[time-nuts] Re: Frequency counter recommendation wanted

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Mar 16 00:30:00 UTC 2023

Hi

One “interesting” point about the 1992: Coming up with an accurate answer to the question
“how good is it?” is not at all easy.

One *could* spend the day with the Racal sales guy asking that question. At the end of the
day, the result would be confusion. Spend a day with the spec sheets an confusion also is
the result.

About the only conclusion you can come to is that they *really* don’t like to commit to a number.
One might wonder ….

Next you could grab one of the ones sitting around the lab and start looking at the results.
Considering this is done in 1970’s, the gear to do so isn’t quite what you have today. Best
guess at the time was something around 4 ns for a “single shot” sort of resolution.

On the same basis, the 5334 comes in at 2 ns and the 5335 comes in at 1 ns. The 53131
is around 0.5 ns and the 53132 is around 0.2 ns.

The 5345 is also a 2 ns single shot device. Like the 5334, (and others) it can do averaging
to get lower.“Single shot” and “averaging” aren’t quite the same thing ….

The the 5370 (went it works) can get to 0.02 ns “RMS” and the SR620 can do about the
same. The 53230 can get to 0.01 ns with a good input. Since these are one sigma rather than
a fixed LSB, the comparison isn’t quite perfect …..

Does any of this matter? It depends a lot on just what you want to / need to do. That’s always
the gotcha with these questions. Things are rarely tightly defined ….

If I’m looking at the delta between two 1 pps pulses, then I likely *do* care about single shot
sort of stuff. If I want to know if my transmitter is 2 Hz off at 10 GHz, that’s a different question.

Bob