[time-nuts] Re: 10 MHz Distribution Best Practices?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Mar 24 02:53:33 UTC 2023

Hi

The most basic starting point is: hlow many digits to the left of decimal are in the budget?

Somebody with major money to spend will approach this a bit differently than joe cheap skate.

One of the most basic cost drivers is the coax used. You can get some *very* exotic coax
if you have a big budget…..

Equally important is just how the system gets used. Un-terminated coax can be a disaster
no matter how you set things up. The longer the coax, the worse the impact.

Yes, this is already making a bunch of assumptions about what the “lab” is getting used for.
If phase noise / adev measurement isn’t part of that use, that has a budget impact.

Bob