[time-nuts] Re: 10 MHz Distribution Best Practices?

Kitski kitscally at iprimus.com.au
Fri Mar 24 05:30:45 UTC 2023

I'll second John's recommendations, particularly double-shielded coax, but
with a twist (pardon the pun).
There are various grades of 'double shielded' coax - some with loose braid
coverage and others with really tight weaves (loosely spec'd as 'coverage').
Use 95% or forget about it.

Next up (down ?) this rabbit hole is triax which by definition is double
shielded. More to the point, the braids are insulated from each other.
Another benefit is that BNC triax connectors are not that expensive.  As the
outer braid is typically at 'mains/safety earth' potential, the independent
inner braid can be used in a variety of hum-busting ways.
Then another rabbit hole to peer down is re-wiring your AC mains facility
with separate electrical earth and technical earths. Not for the
faint-hearted this one.

Mitigating leakage LF thru to UHF (and crosstalk) in and out of your
facility are part and parcel of MIL requirements in sensitive
establishments.  Measuring their effectiveness (BT-DT) is an interesting
past-time.

My 10c worth (currently 67c US).

Kit
Canberra, Australia