[time-nuts] Is the practical quality of a 10 Mhz reference determined by the quality of the fundamental or by the quality of the zero crossings?

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Fri Mar 24 13:24:57 UTC 2023

For one of my projects I was requested to make a presentation about
measuring phase and frequency
Part of the presentation is about measuring phase and frequency for
which I could use a lot of excellent material from various sources.
I did run into one small problem when trying to explain why the
PhaseStation phase measurement method (decimated I/Q down mix to zero
Hz) is ok compared to previously zero crossing methods such as used in
interpolating reciprocal counter.
When using 10 MHz reference in a modern measurement device, is the lock
on the reference done by direct conversion to a square wave (some simple
digital circuit like a limiting amplifier) or are more advanced clock
recovery approaches used that look only at the fundamental and use all
information in the 10 MHz fundamental, just like the Phase Station is doing?
In what category would a PLL for clock recovery fall? Is the PLL looking
to the fundamental and ignoring noise on the zero crossings by using all
available information or is it plagued by the same problems as a zero
crossing clock recovery?
I hope someone with knowledge on clock recovery could help out here.
Many thanks in advance.
Erik.