[time-nuts] Re: 10 MHz Distribution Best Practices?

John Vendely jvendely at cfl.rr.com
Fri Mar 24 14:15:06 UTC 2023

Bob makes a good point about the devices terminating the ends of
reference distribution cables.  Many frequency counters have little
shielding, and can be a significant source of 10 MHz radiation,
regardless of the shielding effectiveness of the reference cable runs
feeding them.  Counters such as the HP 53132 and 5335 are good examples
of this.  Even some signal generators and spectrum analyzers can exhibit
this problem.  Despite good shielding in their RF sections, sometimes
inadequate attention was paid to shielding of the external reference inputs.

I encountered this problem when building a reference distribution system
for my low phase noise house standard.  The distribution amp was
meticulously shielded and double shielded cable was used throughout,
with runs up to 60'.  When individually terminated, the cables showed
very low leakage.  However, significant 10 MHz radiation resulted when
connected to numerous test instruments...

73,

John K9WT