[time-nuts] Re: Is the practical quality of a 10 Mhz reference determined by the quality of the fundamental or by the quality of the zero crossings?

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Mar 24 17:01:47 UTC 2023

A lot of stuff to unpack here.  I can make a few general comments:

IMHO, you should make use of the whole sine wave, assuming you have a
sine wave to start with.  Precision frequencies should always be
distributed as sine waves.  The problem of deriving a square wave
from a sine wave without degrading phase noise has been discussed
many times on this reflector.  Spoiler alert:  it is non trivial :-)
Only attempt it if absolutely necessary.  Like if you have to
generate a low jitter clock signal for an ADC.

In a former life, I worked for the HP Santa Clara Division in the
frequency counter section.  Frequency counters always started with
a high speed comparator that generated a square wave from the
incoming sine wave.  This royally messed up the phase noise, but
frequency counters don't claim to measure phase noise.  I remember
someone had a wet dream where they would use the counter's comparator
like a zero cross detector, and then they could do DSP on the zero
crossings and recover all the information that was in the original
signal, based on the Nyquist theorem.  Fortunately, this ridiculous
idea never went anywhere.

Regarding PLLs:  You can't go wrong using a double balanced mixer
as a phase detector, if you want the best performance.  That's what
I did in the HP 5071 Cs standard.  Of course, that kind of phase
detector is not self acquiring, so I added a circuit using a couple
of flip flops that detected (1) if the loop was out of lock and (2)
if so, which direction it was out of lock. and (3) added an offset
of the correct polarity to the phase detector to make the VCO slew
into lock and then (4) removed the offset once the loop was locked.
There are whole books written about PLL's that you can read.
Clock recovery from data is another huge topic.  I even hold a
patent on a clock recovery circuit for 40 Gb/s data.  Way too much
complexity to discuss here.

Rick N6RK