[time-nuts] Re: 10 MHz Distribution Best Practices?

Tom Knox actast at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 25 18:27:45 UTC 2023

Where I have seen fiber is larger labs in which their primary standard such as a 5071A is fiber distributed to clean-up oscillators at each bench or rack. The systems I saw were made by Wenzel and used their ULN oscillators. This eliminates a number of potential issues such as ground loops. I think Johm Miles made one of the most important points, you could have the best ultra-low phase noise standards made, but without high-end cabling and proper grounding much of the performance could be lost. And sometimes grounding and cables routing can prove more art than science to achieve the full potential of an UNPN system.
Cheers;
Tom Knox
SR Test and Measurement Engineer
Phoenix Research
4870 Meredith Way Apt 102
Boulder, Co 80303
Formerly of:
357 Fox Lane
Superior Co 80027
303-554-0307
actast at hotmail.com

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/marshall-fire/superior-man-moving-forward-after-losing-dream-research-lab-during-marshall-fire

"Peace is not the absence of violence, but the presence of Justice" Both MLK and Albert Einstein