[time-nuts] Re: Denmark in the Century of the fruitbat

Jürgen Appel jap at dfm.dk
Mon Mar 27 23:40:57 UTC 2023

Dear time-nuts:

> On Wednesday, 25 January 2023 21:41:38 CET Poul-Henning Kamp via time-nuts
> wrote:
[...]
> > Today, finally, the government proposed new law which says which
> > will say:
> > 	"Danish normal time will follow UTC plus one hour"
> >
> > If ratified, the law will take effect on March 26 2023 at 02:00.
> >
> > The law does not say if 02:00 is according to the old or the new
> > law, which according to current Bulletin A will differ by 22.68
> > milliseconds by then.

The law has passed folketinget on 2023-03-14 and is in effect since Sunday
night: We all survived the unusual 25.46 ms discontinuity in the legal time
scale,  (obscured by the additional 3600 s jump due to daylight-saving time)
with just the normal jet-lag feelings.

> > At some point soonish, they will also start to distribute their
> > timescale with NTP and PTP, at which point my 25 year long career
> > as unofficial danish provider of illegal time will come to an end.

Given the above occasion, I now proudly present DFM's shiny new NTP / NTS
server to this honorable community here, which will be serving UTC(DFM) time
with a source accuracy of << 1 µs, dwarfed by the usual internet link
asymmetries to wherever you all are located.

The server can be reached  both for NTP and  NTS at

time.dfm.dk

(e. g. by adding
server time.dfm.dk nts iburst
to your chrony-configuration). An official announcement  will be following during
the next few days when our webpage is ready. Also, don't be alarmed if the NTS
key changes during the following days.

For PTP access to UTC(DFM), one still will have to wait a bit longer...

Poul-Henning, I hope you will continue to follow the development and only
really stop time-serving Denmark after we have sufficiently proven that we are
worthy of carrying on your legacy ;-).

Cheers,
	Jürgen