[time-nuts] Re: NTP server replacement GPS receiver

Fleeson, Richard RFLEESON at c-span.org
Thu Mar 30 16:03:45 UTC 2023

Yes you are correct Heols has been very responsive and helpful as have others I have contacted like Furuno, Jackson Engineering and Symmetricom.  So far the Heols module is the only one I have tried that works in the S200.  I sent a full description of my S350 issues to Heols at the same time I reached out to the Time-Nuts brain trust.   My search is an effort for work to avoid the cost of new replacement NTP servers.  I have limited time so the sub-module solution and a software update is what I am looking for.

Talking to Furuno the GT-8031 will produce the correct date.  It just takes setting the date/time registers in the GT-8031.  This needs to be done at boot up or after a Pin 6 reset.  The date/time setting should hold if you put a battery feed on Pin 7.  For those who might score a used Symmetricom for their home basement lab I think there may be a cheap "Man In The Middle" way to hack the original Symmetricom sub module.  I have not tried this but you could intercept the serial commands sent to Furuno GT-8031 and set the correct date and time registers as well as if needed truncate the week roll over output back to the Symmetricom.   Of course you would need to allow the other normal Symmetricom/GT-8031 TX/RX data flow as well.

This is the GT-8031 pinout for TX/RX and Battery connections:
[cid:image001.png at 01D962FF.82BD8020]

Let me know if anyone needs the protocol for the GT-8031.

Richard