[time-nuts] Re: Temperature accuracy / repeatability / drift of double ovens

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Mar 30 23:00:38 UTC 2023

Actually the laser diode current also alters the refractive index of the laser diode chip.
Usually, an external cavity is used to stabilise and tune the diode laser operating wavelength in such applications. A cateye ECDL with a tilt tuned narrow bandwidth filter is easier to construct than either Littrow or Littman-Metcalf EDL's using tilt tuned gratings.

If the cavity is reanonably compact then a single oven design similar to that used by the E1938A would perhaps be a better choice.
However laser diode temperature controllers usually employ a TEC to cool the diode rather than a heater.

Whilst some FP laser diodes will operate in single transverse and single longitudinal mode without an external cavity and associated band select filter achieving this together with operation at the desired wavelength can be problematic.
I have a single transverse mode, single longitudinal mode FP laser diode that uses a TEC to control the diode temperature along with a low noise current drive. Both the temperature and operating current are selected so that mode hopping doesnt ocurr in temperature and current island of stability.

Bruce