[time-nuts] Re: Temperature accuracy / repeatability / drift of double ovens

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Thu Mar 30 23:57:39 UTC 2023

The DFB lasers you use for this typically has a thermistor and
termoelectical cooler to form a control loop with external components,
just as for any other DWDM DFB laser. Tune the setpoint of this to lock
the laser to the rubidium. The laser becomes warm, so you stabilize it
by how much you cool it.

Further, it has a photodiode to set a loop to stabilize the current and
thus the intensity of the laser, which often is of interest to stabilize
for clock transitions.

Add modulation to the laser for sidebands if that is relevant.

One DFB datasheet I found had typical 0.06 nm / K in temperature
sensitivity and typ 0.003 nm / mA in current sensitivity. Thus, it could
be wise to "leak" the current-steering to the temperature to compensate
for current effect in feed forward rather than indirect lock.

Look at the available DFB lasermodules, I think it should become fairly
clear quite quickly as you look at datasheets etc. Exactly which laser
to use depends on power and bandwidth that fit a particular use, so it
boils down to what you end up needing it to do.

Cheers,
Magnus