[time-nuts] Re: New-To-Me HP 5071A Questions

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Thu May 11 02:42:32 UTC 2023

On 5/10/2023 5:31 PM, Stan via time-nuts wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I just scored an HP 5071A in excellent condition, and to my amazement it
> warms up and locks to the cesium as it should. Here are my questions:
>

> 1.	What are the ideal values for the various parameters that are
> displayed on the LCD screen? The Symmetricom manual shows only a range of
> expected values, with no indication of which values are more desirable than
> others.
> 2.	Which of these parameters give an indication of the health/remaining
> life in the cesium tube? The tube is a 10890A, with serial number prefix
> 3839A.
> 3.	The SLA batteries in my 5071A are essentially dead. I'm trying to
> charge them but do not hold out much hope. Are the OEM batteries still
> available? If not, can I substitute a couple of more generic 12V 2.5AH SLA
> batteries, like the Power-Sonic PS-1220, assuming that they will physically
> fit into the battery box?

I have had enough bad luck with PowerSonic batteries that I no longer
buy them.  (In a UPS setting, they failed in under 6 months' time of
mild use, and the dealer was Useless on RMA.  I did not weigh the first
set of batteries, but the 2nd set were all under-weight.)  I have had
MUCH better luck with RainGroup batteries.  Maybe consider:

https://www.raiongroup.com/12v-2-3ah-rechargeable-sla-battery-with-agm-technology/

Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>, part of