[time-nuts] Seeking advice on trigger functionality for frequency counter/timer design

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Fri May 12 06:56:40 UTC 2023

Now the basic functionality of the DIY counter is performing well it is
time to look at what other functionality makes sense
One area that is very new to me is the external triggering functionality.
I've studied the Keysight 53230A user manual and I thing I understand
its trigger functionality but replicating everything is rather a lot of
work and may not fit with the currently selected HW.
In particular the time relation  between the external trigger and the
opening/closing of the gate is a difficult design decision.
If the time relation is weak, e.g time accuracy of trigger input
happening and actual actions in the timer have an uncertainty of micro
seconds or even milliseconds, it may be possible to implement all the
relations between trigger input and gate manipulation in SW.
If the time relation is strong, such as when the gate should be opened
nanoseconds after the trigger input, the trigger logic has to be
implemented in HW and may not fit in the selected CPLD.
So my rather generic question to the esteemed members of this group is:
What minimum functionality of external triggering would make sense in a
low cost counter/timer?
What would be meaningful use cases for an external trigger input and
what would be the timing constraints?
Erik.