[time-nuts] Re: [OT] MB506 pre-scaler module ??

ed breya eb at telight.com
Fri May 12 22:08:43 UTC 2023

Yes of course this simple kind of arrangement can't handle complicated
signals with modulation, lots of spurs or pulsed bursts and such, like a
commercial product. As I recall, the 5340 can discriminate between (pick
the largest of) spurs only a few dB apart. BTW I happen to be trying to
fix a 5340, and need some help figuring out the adjustment process. More
on that later.

A prescaler should be OK with a CW signal that's totally dominant, and
within the acceptable power range. It's just another divider that's very
fast. If you've got something like an oscillator or generator signal to
count, it should be good to go.

Ed