[time-nuts] Re: [OT] MB506 pre-scaler module ??

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat May 13 16:02:17 UTC 2023

On 5/12/2023 6:00 PM, ed breya via time-nuts wrote:
> Rick, I don't see how you have the impression that any of these
> prescalers are "dynamic" dividers. \

That is what the project manager of the HP 5386 told me back in
the 80's.  He used a static divider made by HP Santa Rosa.  The
5334A used a dynamic divider made by HP Santa Clara.  As the
5334B project manager, I tried whatever COTS dividers I could
find and they all had the same problems as the divider made
in Santa Clara.  I designed that one out to save $100.

You previously said something like any prescaler will work if
the signal is coming from a signal generator.  This notion is
contradicted by the HP 8660.  For both the 5334A and 5334B,
the test procedure for the C channel is to drive the counter
with an 8660 at 1.3 GHz to verify the specified bandwidth.
However, the TP goes on to say that a 1 GHz high pass filter
must be inserted in front of the counter.  And sure enough,
if you don't do this, it won't count 1.3 GHz.  Admittedly,
the 8660 was not exactly what you would call HP's "finest
hour."  I suspect you could dispense with the filter if you
used an 8662/3.

I was not aware of the HMC493, which seems to be static.  With
that chip you might finally be able to homebrew a decent C channel.
The description of the technology used sounds like something
that would come out of the Santa Rosa IC fab.  The price is a
bargain IMHO at $35.  For $425 you can get an eval board.
So it looks like the technology has advanced somewhat in
35 years.

Rick

I remember those dynamic divider