[time-nuts] Re: Z3801A questions

Gregory Muir engineering at mt.net
Mon May 22 17:52:15 UTC 2023

I have a Z3816 that has been running for 20+ years without a hiccup.  It is the DC power version rated at 24-30V input - somewhat rare given the preponderance of 115V input units circulating out there.  The power supply has 12, 24 & 48 VDC outputs and is a full-bpard switcher possessing actual discrete components so is easily fixable if it ever fails.

Over the past 10 years I have been powering it with a PP-7839G standby power supply which was new surplus from the local Coast Guard Loran site when they closed down.  It was from their operating spares inventory and has (2) NP24-12 12 volt 26 AH batteries in series which keep the GPSDO up for several days without AC power.

Since the GPSDO operates with a slightly lower input voltage I think its power supply has been treated rather well preventing failures.  The power supply runs very cool as well.  But there will probably come one day when one of the on-board electrolytic caps will develop a puffy top.

I am also feeding the 10 MHz to my test equipment through a HP 5087A distribution amplifier which properly loads the output of the GPSDO.  A few years back I also came across a Spectracom 8140 frequency distribution amplifier with a couple dozen line taps but haven’t had the chance to fully check it out.  I haven’t seen a need to run the 10 MHz out to hundreds of feet yet.  Maybe the day still might come.

Greg