[time-nuts] Z3801a Keeping them running

K5jv k5jv at kingwoodcable.com
Mon May 22 23:22:04 UTC 2023

Greetings to all,

            I have been keeping these wonderful "0ld" units running for about tewnty-five years.  These units are old a shojld be approached with old technoligy, not new  tehnology.  From a trouble shooting approach,  a powersupply with any tuoe of current lkmiting shpild be avoided.  Espexially if the Z3801a not powered continuously.  At turn on, minor current surges often turn the power supply off, causing comfusion to the trouble shooting process.  A simple linear power supply will avoid this very common issue.

          Again, in 25 ysads of maintaining Z3201's, I have never encountered a powwr supply problem, with the sinble exception  on small 1 ohm, green, fuse resistors.  There are two of them.

         Remember, there are,at least, three versions of the  power supply module.  They look exactlt alike, wkth the exception of model nomenclature, in very small print, on the side of one of tbe black boxex on tzhe power supply module.  Be sure that your poswesupply  is correct for the power supplo moduke in your Z3801a.
When these ubits came ojt of the factory, required power supply voltage information was silkscreened on fhr  back of the box.  If your unit has been modified kr serviced in past years, this i formation may notz

73 de Lon, K5JV
281-795-1335