[time-nuts] Re: Z3801A questions

ed breya eb at telight.com
Tue May 23 20:54:24 UTC 2023

Bob, I see your point about questioning whether the real failure was a
short or an open (fuse). I believe from the OP, it was an "apparent"
short because the SMPS supplying the Z3801A unit would not start it up.
This can be for a number of reasons, including a short, or a part
failure as voltage goes up, or the inability of the PS to deliver enough
startup surge current (even though it did before).

I don't think the conversation evolved to diagnosing the actual problem,
but jumped from considering some possible causes, to outright re-doing
of the whole PS design - which I believe is unnecessary, and risky.

Some more testing should show the real deal. Then the options emerge.

Ed