[time-nuts] Re: problem with Trimble Mini-T

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sat Nov 4 23:35:13 UTC 2023

Erik,

That looks to me as the beating from being unable to lock. One possible
reason is that the oscillator drifted too far so it no longer can really
reach 10 MHz. You keep getting cycle-slips.

It might be better if you measured it in free-running state, so you
start the Mini-T up with no antenna connected, but measure the 10 MHz
output. Then you can observe the oscillators behaviour without the PLL
pulling it here and there.

The beat-frequency indicates the unmodulated oscillators frequency
offset. Usually should this provide a component for the PI loop to pull
it in, but if the steering range is not working, then that will stop it.

You should be able to diagnoze more with Lady Heather or other analysis
of PLL state.

Cheers,
Magnus