[time-nuts] SRS PRS10 Rubidium Monitor and control

Mark Hughes gm4ism at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 14 09:56:48 UTC 2023

Hi

I have just got my PRS10 Rubidium standard up and running, with GPS
disciplining and feel that it needs a dedicated Monitor and control
unit. A big thanks to Stanford Research Systems who have been most helpful.

I'm not sure how many are out there in use by Time Nuts

So , questions

1 Has anyone designed and built one already?

2 If not, how many would be interested in such a device if I have some
made. (probably a single PCB and a matching display bezel)

3 What features would users like?

On the latter question, I am thinking along the lines of using an
Arduino with 2 serial ports, basic 2x16 display as a starting point

One serial port would capture and display basic info from the GPS engine

The second would poll the PRS10 for lock and PPS status info and display
that alongside the GPS info

I should also be able to incorporate a routine for changing the PPS
output position to compensate for GPS engine cable lengths etc to make
for accurate timing

I could incorporate 10 MHz buffered distribution and 5MHz / 1MHz outputs
on the board

I would also incorporate simple visual monitoring LEDs fro GPS lock,
Rubidium Lock and Rubidium PPS discipline status going green after an
uptime of good PPS exceeding a number of integration time cycles

I have built and programmed units for other projects and while
development takes time, I can do this if there is demand.

see http://dc2light.co.uk/122GHz.html as an example

Contact me, on or off list if you are interested or can otherwise help
with ideas.

Mark gm4ism at yahoo.co.uk