[time-nuts] Re: Gravity Meter was:Re: Scandium plus hard x-rays

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri Oct 6 03:16:08 UTC 2023

Brooke,

 > There are a number of ways to measure gravity,
 > but the best that I know of is the Super conducting type.

There is at least one commercial model available. Start here:

https://www.gwrinstruments.com/pdf/principles-of-operation.pdf

For more practical high-performance gravimeters, see the six models
listed at this site:

     https://microglacoste.com/shop/

If you want wonderful details a full set of brochures and manuals is
available under the Support tab.

 > Tom's experiment with moving an atomic clock would give you
 > the a rough translation factor between gravity and time

Yes, relativity theory predicts -- and many experiments confirm -- that
gravity affects time. The closer to a massive object you get the lower
the frequency (called redshift) of your clock. For planet earth the
fractional change in frequency, df/f, is approximately 1e-16 per meter,
or 1e-13 per km. I think that's what you meant by translation factor.
It's very, very small.

Note that a frequency difference of 1e-13 is a phase drift of about 10
ns per day. This means if you have clocks that are good to 1e-14 and you
perform a 1 km experiment (one clock low, one clock high) for 2 days
you'll see about 20 ns of time dilation. This actually works, as you
know from the hp 5071A experiments I've done on different mountains over
the years.

 > I don't think GPS can be used ...
 > Something Tom maybe could comment on.

I don't understand that paragraph. Please clarify so I don't go off on a
tangent.

/tvb