[time-nuts] NIST evaluation of STL timing performance

Stewart Cobb stewart.cobb at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 23:25:06 UTC 2023

Time-nuts have occasionally asked me for data on the performance of the
Satelles STL system, which uses signals from Iridium satellites rather than
GNSS satellites to provide a worldwide source of precision timing.

The following paper from PTTI 2023 presents results from a multi-year
evaluation of STL timing performance by the NIST timing lab in Boulder,
Colorado. We plan to present a follow-on paper at PTTI 2024.

https://www.nist.gov/publications/measuring-timing-accuracy-satellite-time-and-location-stl-receivers

Additional information is available on the NIST page on our website

https://satelles.com/nist

including pointers to NIST technical notes 2187 and 2189 which also
evaluated STL.

Cheers!
--Stu