[time-nuts] Re: Oscilloquartz 8663-XS stability problem

Dan Rae danrae at verizon.net
Sat Oct 28 01:07:06 UTC 2023

On 10/27/2023 7:15 AM, Brian K via time-nuts wrote:
> I recently constructed a homebrew 10MHz distribution amp.
> It has provision for both an external 10MHz source such as a GPSDO or an internal OCXO.
> For the internal OCXO I chose a used Oscilloquartz 8663-XS from China.

Brian, Sorry to say I'm pretty sure you have a faulty OCXO.  I have used
several of those and the control voltage to reach 10 MHz is usually
around 5V, which can be easily achieved from the Reference V output,
which is around 8V.  It looks to me like there is a fault in the
oscillator circuit inside the inner oven.  Total control range should be
at least 2 Hz either side of nominal.  I have one in my Shera GPSDO and
over more than two years the control voltage has crept up very slowly
due to ageing and shows a very slight diurnal variation due to room
temperature changes.

And there's no trimmer inside, the solder blob was presumably when they
filled it with whatever inert gas they used at manufacture.

Dan