[time-nuts] Re: Cross correlation for analogue PN measurement

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sun Sep 3 16:09:13 UTC 2023

Dear Alan,

On 2023-09-03 10:44, alan bain via time-nuts wrote:
> Thank you - that is basically a complete answer to my question within
> hours of my having asked it and the four papers fill in even more
> detail. The power splitter point is very interesting.

Happy to help you along the path.

Notice how you can use audio cards for low noise ADC if you have no
DC-blocking. That work if you do not need wide-band beyond 10 kHz or so.

> Also take the point about the full cross spectrum - the imaginary part
> is going to be the quadrature part so a good approximation to the
> noise spectrum.
Yes. You do cross-correlation as a time-inversed convolution, but as you
convert that to frequency you achieve the time-inversion through
inversion of the imaginary part before multiplication
component-per-component. Also, this then is the form you want things
anyway, so it is just to average over N samples for each complex
component. Look at how noise reduces on imaginary axis to see how your
result stabilizes on the real axis. Quite beutiful.

> And yes, in a domestic environment my equipment tends to be offcasts
> from industry, so rather older than the current generation!

I conclude too that my laboratory is built out of offcast from industry.
Very much so. My humble lab builds on slowly accumulating things that work.

I was able to be given a RF-generator from work. It filled no real
purpose for them, but for me, so as we moved, they needed to downsize
and the "Instrument storage room" changed name to "Magnus room". A few
pieces was taken out, and quite a bit of stuff pushed in. The
RF-generator naturally had a PSU that died. I was able to locate a NOS
PSU with perfect match, and after that I got a working RF-generator
again, for the cost of the PSU and transport.

Similarly, I was able to locate a R&S SMA-100A generator local at dirt
low price, mostly because the seller did not want to botter with ebay.
It has unfortunately not the frequency tuning needed to be useful,
despite being a marvel in so many other aspects. I suspect I will have
to use a separate OCXO and tune using that to get that feed. If there is
a decent way to upgrade the SMA-100A I would love to do that.

A pair of HP70420A and a HP89410A for cross-correlation and I think you
see where this is going.

To go full interferometric cross-correlation I need to add steerable
delays, and the three Colby DL-10A that I found cheap in the US have all
been converted to 230 VAC and work just fine. Needs a bit of cable
cutting and just a few lines of code. Oh, and I need to use one
generator to inject calibration signal. Will be fun.

Cheers,
Magnus