[time-nuts] Two questions about counters

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Tue Sep 5 15:21:15 UTC 2023

Pardon me for asking two highly specialized questions.

In his may 2012 presentation  (see
http://athome.kaashoek.com/time-nuts/Counter%20Principles.pdf ) Rubiola
describes on slide 40 the enhanced resolution counter and compares it to
a Linear-regression counter on slide 45. Unfortunately my match
capabilities have disappeared in the 40 years since I left university
and I'm not able to understand the statement he makes ("The linear
regression estimator is asymptotically equivalent to the enhanced
resolution count") and the math is too complex for me to understand if
the enhanced resolution counter has any advantages over the linear
regression counter.
I think I understand that the enhanced resolution counter has a well
defined decimation approach allowing a step wise decimation.
The enhanced resolution counter however seems to require a lot more
memory related to the amount of decimation where a  linear regression
only needs a small set of running sums
Is there someone in this community that can  explain the (dis)advantages
of these counter approaches in a simple way?

In their 2016 paper "On temporal correlations in high-resolution
frequency counting" (
http://athome.kaashoek.com/time-nuts/Measuring%20Counter%20Noise.pdf )
the authors describe how using the undocumented RCON mode instead of the
CONT mode when using a Keysight 53230A can have certain advantages, one
seems to be the phase stability realized when using the RCON mode
The CONT mode is described as continuous resolution enhanced gap free
measurements and, although it is not formally known, the method used
could be a linear regression or enhanced resolution approach given the
slope of the ADEV when measuring the noise floor of the counter in that
mode.
The RCON method without using internal averaging seems to have the
advantage for phase measurement that there is no cumulative error,
although the frequency resolution may be lower and it may be purely
based on the interpolated timestamps thus avoiding a cumulative phase error.
It is however possible to use the linear regression method to calculate
a phase relative to the counter reference so the output of the counter
(phase instead of frequency) is resolution enhanced but the phase output
does not have an accumulative error as would occur when using the
frequency output after resolution enhancement as it is always referred
to the counter reference.
For a counter that should be usable for ADEV and/or phase measurements,
would having a phase output mode without cumulative error, either using
a method similar to RCON or a linear regression approach with phase hard
linked to the reference, be an advantage?
Erik.