[time-nuts] Re: Materials for a Rubidium Standard

glenlist glenlist at cortexrf.com.au
Tue Sep 5 21:35:44 UTC 2023

Hi Jim

as a manufacturer of high tech complex electronics, but without yield
issues (like a Cs tube) I wouldnt quite agree with those numbers. ,
especially in modern times.

for something high tech, generally 3 to 5 x mfr cost, depending on how
much software is in it these days.....

Certainly once you reach reel quantities, prices fall, and with clever
design, you can maximum quantity of common parts on boards to more
quickly achieve reel quantities, which may be between 300 and 5000
pieces per reel . An LDO you buy from digikey for $2 might be 20 cents
on reel.  Although it depends on the mfr. Some parts at Digikey that are
$2 might only be $1.50 on reel.

So, very much horses for courses.

For something that involves a poor yield, like the Cs tube, with a high
manual labour, the multiplier might be quite high- yes. and wouldnt
change much with quantity unless process improves

-glen