[time-nuts] Re: Materials for a Rubidium Standard

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Fri Sep 8 22:42:50 UTC 2023

On 9/5/23 2:35 PM, glenlist via time-nuts wrote:
> Hi Jim
>
> as a manufacturer of high tech complex electronics, but without yield
> issues (like a Cs tube) I wouldnt quite agree with those numbers. ,
> especially in modern times.
>
> for something high tech, generally 3 to 5 x mfr cost, depending on how
> much software is in it these days.....

yeah, I was used to fairly straightforward things (PWBs, mechanical
stuff) so we figured from BoM (parts) cost - figuring labor is in the
multiplier.

And of course, a lot depends on the distribution channel - we'd protect
our distributors and the downstream retailers, so "factory price" was
always MSRP, and higher than you could actually buy it for in
distribution. We didn't want to run a sales organization, or more
importantly, a support organization.

Someone else posted 3xparts to wholesale another 3x to retail - and that
could work (it's 9x parts)..

A sufficiently small fraction of the parts cost of what I worked with
was discrete components - so going from a $0.01 resistor to a $0.001
resistor didn't make much difference.  Going from a $100 Qty:1 motor to
a $50 Qty:25 motor made a bigger difference.  Metal fabrication also
sees a pretty fast decrease in cost when you order 100 identical
brackets vs 1 - setup and lot charges.