[time-nuts] Re: Power supply buzzing in HP 58503A GPS receiver.

Adrian Godwin artgodwin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 08:10:08 UTC 2023

I don't have a 58503A but I do have some RFTG-u which I understand to be
quite similar. I'm not sure if that extends to the power supply
architecture. Do they just have an integral mains power supply before a
Lucent DC-DC converter ?

I had one fail due to a tantalum capacitor downstream of the DC-DC
converter. It didn't shut down the DC-DC but it did cause it to take a
heavy incoming current resulting in the literal melting (and subsequent
mains breaker cutout) of a cheap power brick that was being used to provide
24V.

So, the mains part of the supply might be running at an overcurrent without
shutting down.

Replacing the tant (and the power brick) fixed it without any other damage.