[time-nuts] Re: time nuts 1690's style

chris at chriscaudle.org chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue Sep 19 15:55:57 UTC 2023

   On Sep 19 2023, at 10:30 am, Tom Van Baak via time-nuts
   <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:

Thanks for posting. That article has been making the rounds on the 'net
recently although it was written in 2018. Like you say it has a bit of a
pop-sci or even clickbait feel. It's an interesting story and contains
valid bits of horology and physics but given the tone and content we did
some fact checking before your posting went out to time-nuts.

   I found the article interesting even if the basis story is a bit
   post-apocryphal because the author explained the background of the
   dependence of pendulum behavior on both length and gravitation, and
   worked out the performance differences you can expect for different
   gravitational acceleration values.  It is kind of a gentle introduction
   to time-nuttiness for casual observers, or young students who are still
   at the "assume gravity is 9.8m/s/s" stage of their physics education.

   If not for that I would have just blown it off as "seems unlikely they
   wouldn't just adjust the pendulum bob based on astronomical
   observations."  The one thing which would make the article better is
   actual confirmed gravitational values at Amsterdam and Boston to add
   into the table of how fast or slow a 0.994m pendulum would swing at
   various gravitational acceleration values to show what actual magnitude
   of difference would be expected.

   -- Chris C

   On Sep 19 2023, at 10:30 am, Tom Van Baak via time-nuts