[time-nuts] Re: Eloran long test from now to August or September.

Jim Lux jim at luxfamily.com
Tue Sep 26 14:41:02 UTC 2023

I’ve experimented with just this idea - injecting a pilot tone, with modulation.  I was contemplating building an interferometer with surplus Ku-band dishes/LNBs, so there’s no easy way to phase lock the front end.

I did it with 4 RTL-SDRs, and I’ll scrounge up the measurements.    My first attempt was just to couple the 1pps from a GPS module into the inputs - that’s not easily detectable (I was hoping that the fast edges would be sufficiently broadband to be detectable in the sampled data stream - nope..)

Next was an in-band tone from a 10 MHz oscillator.  It’s easy to recover the narrow band tone, and if the level is appropriate, it’s easy to adaptively subtract it from the sampled data.

My next strategy was to put a BPSK modulated tone (at a low rate), and I never got that one to work right - whether because my lash up modulator wasn’t right, or because of software problems.  It should be easy to recover, to recover the chip and carrier phase, etc.  If one ran the PN generator at an exact divisor of the tone, that would probably help.