[time-nuts] Re: BBC Radio Pips

Jeremy Elson jelson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 06:02:42 UTC 2024

I often listen to the BBC through the Internet via a smart speaker and the
latency is comically bad -- something like 10 or 15 seconds. It makes sense
to me that they'd want to retire the pips given not just the ubiquity of
alternate accurate time sources, but the pips are very wrong when the BBC
is received using modern methods.

I'm less bothered by an announcer saying "It's the top of the hour",
because the implied accuracy of such a statement is on the same order of
the actual accuracy of ~10 seconds. The pips, though, give the illusion of
sub-second accuracy when the reality is 100x worse.

Of course, the pips score high on nostalgia so I still vote to keep them in
:)