[time-nuts] Synergy Drop-In Replacement Boards for HP GPSDO

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Fri Feb 2 22:57:10 UTC 2024

MODERATOR: Read carefully below! New links given are valid.

Tech Note 484-B on the Synergy website, "Single Board, Drop-In
Replacements for Motorola VP, UT+ and GT+ Oncore GPS Receivers..." shows
replacement GPS receivers for various HP and Datum/Symmetricom GPSDO
units. The Synergy GPS receiver replacement board for the HP Z-3801A is
Model SSR-VP1/R, P/N 16U54523G-B1. As described here by others, it is a
drop-in replacement for the original Motorola GPS receiver but with
enhanced performance. Note that Synergy just changed the model number of
this module and the Tech Note Number.

The web address for the tech note is:

https://synergy-gps.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/SSR-VP-UT-and-GT-Drop-In-Replacements011624.pdf

The webpage address for this tech note was apparently recently changed
by Synergy. This is a new address link. This link works perfectly in my
Firefox browser. If you are unable to make this link work, go to:

https://synergy-gps.com/

Then click: GPS   (Tab at top of page)

Then click: SSR Series GPS Drop-In Replacement Boards...  (Picture on right)

Then click: Data Sheet  (Wide blue bar)

Several members here have reported success with these modules received
recently. So far as I can tell, the orders for these reported-on
receivers were placed long ago. I have just placed an order but am
waiting for confirmation of pricing and delivery. My understanding is
there is a long lead time for the u-blox receiver and that will delay
the replacement module, which is assembled in San Diego. The approximate
price is just under $200.

I know nothing about the LED digital clock some have built into their HP
Z-3801A GPSDO. But, if all you want is a really nice LED GPS clock,
check this:

https://www.tindie.com/products/nsayer/gps-clock/

This link works perfectly for me in my Firefox browser. If you are
unable to make this link work, go to:

https://www.tindie.com

Then enter "GPS Clock Geppetto" in search box

Click: GPS Clock  (in drop-down list)

This clock receives multiple GNSS and displays time with tenth-seconds.
The display mimics the old Heathkit GC-1000 Most Accurate Clock. I have
several of these and they work very well.

--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB